Best fashion in 2011 & 2012 must-haves for moms
January 4, 2012
Lucky Magazine recently put out their list of the top trends from 2011, and the must-haves for 2012. Quite frankly, I'm a little surprised by the 2012 list, but we'll get to that in a minute. Let's start with some of the top trends of 2011:
Top fashion trends of 2011
Photos: Luckymag.com, Kate Middleton photo: PR Photos
- Crazy nails
- The little white dress
- Kate Middleton
- French Girl style
It looks like I went for several of these trends this year (including covering some of Kate Middleton's fashion). Some of this stuff will hang around for 2012, like the little white dress (or LWD, for short), and lace and blouses will pretty much always be in style. On the outs are crazy nails, brights, and tomboy fashion.
2012 fashion must-haves for moms
2012 is going to see some trends that will pull you from your comfort zone. Just remember, just because you're a mom doesn't mean you can't try one or all of these trends. Although many are impractical for a mom who works from home and spends most of her time changing diapers or chasing after kids, you can still work lots of the others into your every day fashion. Not to mention, we all deserve to get dressed up every once in a while (remind your husband what a “date night” is – after you remind yourself, that is).
- Something orange – I'm slowly warming up to this color; I've had a hard time believing it complements my pasty skin and blonde hair, but I think the right shade might work. This trend is easy to incorporate into any mom's wardrobe.
- Peplum skirts – Ooo, I love peplum skirts! The give all women a great hourglass shape. Problem is, I have nowhere to where them. Sometimes working from home really kills my fashion bug. If you work in an environment that welcomes such a trend, I envy you; and aren't you glad you have an alternative to the pencil skirt this year?
- Gold nail polish – Hmm, ok, I think I can do this. Whether on the weekends or in the office, this color isn't too over the top for a busy mom.
- The LWD – As stated above, the little white dress is here to stay (and rightfully so).
- Mesh top – I get the whole athletic look, and I'm not against it, but every time I hear “mesh” I think '80s, and that's a problem for me. This could be a great addition to your workout clothing though, I suppose... ?
- Pastel blazer – Last year's brights trend is being replaced by softer pastels. I love blazers, but I'm not sure I can get down with a candy cotton pink blazer. Plus, pastels show spit-up stains more than bold brights...
- A textured clutch – No complaints here (except that I'll have to leave the toys and snacks at home or in the diaper bag).
- Shorts suits – If I was a tad fancier, then I might go for this. If you're a mom that works outside of the home, then this might be a great option for you. Think of how much easier it will be to chase after the kids when you get home in shorts than a dress or skirt!
- Wedges – Always a must.
- Flapper frock – Interesting... I have no issues with flapper fashion (other than the fact that it's very rarely practical for a working mom, except on special occasions).
What are you looking forward to in mom fashion for 2012?